Thursday, May 31, 2007

Playing catchup - Part 1

Here, my delectable viewers, is the second little Photoshop oriented blog-picture-posting task. So I've got to edit some pictures in Photoshop (unheard of for someone like me. Never touched photoshop in my life >_>), and explain what I've done and why I've done. Piece of cake.



Friends - These (not including the douchebag on the left) are my friends. They're all from my Creative Arts Practice lectures/tutorials, and I've been rolling around with them for a whole semester now. They mean a lot to me. That isn't to say of course that anyone not in the picture doesn't mean anything to me, I don't happen to have pictures of all of you. >_> What I've done is actually part of my Creative Arts Practice assignment that I'm just dubiously appropriating now into this here blog. The concept is obscurity, I suppose. There's certainly an element of displacement and disassociation all stemming from the fact that the people in the image are veiled by the techniques used to obscure them. The point of this is embedded in the idea that your friends are an emotional point in your existence. I don't think the aesthetic of seeing them is important, because how I feel for them is an entierly emotive state of being. Essentially, i connect with the people I'm close to because of no physical association, my links are internal, whatever that means.



Communication - How I fucking wish I had a phone, and far more importantly, a funky psychedelic -blue- phone. Being homesick -does- include missing having a hard line. I figure when I get home I'll just be dying to call someone. Does that make me pathetic? Of course, there is a myriad of other activities I'm doing to abuse once I get home. Sleeping in my comfortable, -double- bed in an air conditioned room.
Working however, I won't be looking forward to. The notion here is I've been experiencing a completely different kind of communication for the last six months. I've been very net-based (not a surprise really) and the only other technological communication I've has been over the mobile.
Strange then that I decided to interperate communication as a technological thing, then?


News worthy! Ha! Yes, everyone, go by my new comic/Creative Arts Practice assignment 'University and Me4 - a weekly travesty strip by Steven Michalski'.

I'm rather proud of this little abomination. It as printed in it's full quality on glossy, photo paper and it looks fantastic and all of that wonderful stuff, and I can't help but feel its going to get slashed to ribbons.

It might have something to do with the fact that I parody the academic staff for the very subject.

>_>

Just maybe.





Australian - this once was the image of a cork, which is a rather fantastic looking little creation now. This is a direct reference to the whole corks that typically dangle from pieces of twine from the hats of apparently every Australian.

Have you ever worn one of those cork-hat monstrosities? They're fucking ridiculous, and uncomfortab
le as hell.

Strongly not recommended.










Popular - Okay, so I couldn't resist making Justin Timberlake look like he has a really bad case of downs syndrome. This might be one of those incessant spite things where I'm getting frustrated with the materialism of so called 'music artists' these days. You know, video killed the radio star. Half of the music on the charts these days are by people who can't sing, can't make good music, but are perceived as sex symbols by the mass of Neanderthal-esque society.

So yes, Timberlake. Take that.

Does that make me petty? I sure hope so. >_>









This here is Loom. Loom was an awesome game made by LucasArts before they were actually -called- LucasArts, and was actually one of the very first video games I'd ever played.

One of the really interesting things about it was there was alot of musical orientation. Your little dude who traveled the depths of what was quite a serious fantasy plot had to use musical notes in conjunction (if I remember correctly) these looms to open up rifts (or close them >_>) in time and space. It was rad.

The image is just a screenshot that I've funkisised a little, giving it a bit of a crazy frame. That's a technical term.'



Celebrity - So, apparently there is a magazine called celebrity, and the more I think about it if so called 'celebrities' decided they'd want to be interviewed in magazines -labeled- like this then they must be caught up in the whole notion of celebrity themselves.

Well, we can't have them killed, or else no one could star opposite Ben Stillers massive ears in romantic comedies.

What a shame -that- would be.

All I've done to it is apply some filters on duplicated layers, changed the saturation, opacity of certain layers, and layer types. Like for isntance, the grainy cross-hatching is actually an 'overlay' layer. You can do some cool stuff with it.





Anyway, that's it for now.

No comments: